What is a keylogger?
Keylogger is a software program ,that monitor and log each type of key stroke the user made on the computer keyboard.
These Software’s are used for hacking purpose because it captures all the keystrokes made by the user,which can reveal your password and other information that You don’t want to share.
Key Loggers are of two types .Hardware key logger and software keylogger. Hardware keylogger is a physical device (like a pen Drive) which can be connected to a machine physically for monitoring the Keystrokes.While software key logger is a software program .
Keyloggers are primarily used by System Admins to monitor the employees of a company but Now they have been misused by hackers to bundle with spywares .
Installing a keylogger.
As discussed in the Trojan and RATS.Keyloggers can also be installed in the Victim’s computer by physical installation or Remote installation.Those who Missed those topics .
For remote installation of a key logger a hacker may use Crypters and Binders as Discussed in the Trojan and RAT topic.
Collecting the logs.
The logs captured by the keylogger will reside in the installed system as a hidden file.The hacker can collect the log manually or he can configure the keylogger so that it will send the logs to the hackers email id or FTP site .
Features Of a keylogger
- Invisible in process list
- Can Captures keystrokes even when user is logged off
- Includes Remote Deployment wizard
- Keystroke / Password logging
- Launched Applications list
- Text Snapshots of active applications.
- Visited Internet URL logger
- Capture HTTP POST data (including logins/passwords)
- File and Folder creation/removal logging
- Mouse activities
- Log file archiving, separate log files for each user
- Log file secure encryption
- Password authentication
- Invisible operation
- HTML and Text log file export
- Automatic E-mail log file delivery
- Easy setup & uninstall wizards
Some Famous Keyloggers
How to be Secured from Keyloggers.
Install Updated Antivirus and Anti Spywares
Install a Software Firewall(Which will protect you if Antivirus fails on Detecting a keylogger)
Always Scan your Downloads.